Friday, April 21, 2006

Subliminal messaging

To date my blog entries have been light and airy anecdotes about life in general but tonight I am in a melencholy mood and have been doing some serious reflecting whilst watching The O.C..
Robbie Williams recently released a new album entitled intensive car and for the record I think Robbie Williams is amazingly talented. I don't know if I am doing the girl over analising thing but he seems to talk about religion a lot on this album. To my knowledge Rob in NOT a christian and his lyrics certainly don't indicate any different. They do seem to be crying out for answers though. In the end I think there is a longing in all of us to find the answers to life's big questions, why are we here, what is our purpose and Rob seems to be on the cusp of finding out. In his song "Make me Pure" he sings
I know I'm gonna die
So my revenge is living well
Oh Lord
Make me pure
But not yet

I stopped praying
So I hope this song will do
I wrote it all for you
I'm not perfect
But you don't mind that, do you?
I know you're there to pull me through
Aren't you?

To be honest I found these lyrics a bit shocking and I found myself desperately praying that someone would come along side Robbie and show him that there was so much more to life than this. It also really got me thinking about the influence musicians have on people and what people would think hearing these lyrics. It sounds to me like he is saying, "God I know you're out there and I know I don't live a perfect life (which none of ever do) but I don't care. I'm going to live my life the way I want." I am sure that this would not be shocking to most people as it pretty much sums up our culture and attitude... esp here in England. But do people even here what he is saying? Or has everone become so dull that words in a song have no impact anymore. Do we blindly let other people's music and opinions filter into our lives without thinking about what we are listening to and advocating. I know music is a touchy subject for a lot of people and I am one of those that does not like having to filter my choice of music but I have had to realise that music is not as harmless as I would like to think and I have to at the very least be aware of what I am listening to.

No comments: